Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
The Vice Chair of Education would like to extend congratulations to the following DOM Education Leaders:
- Amy Riek, MD (Endocrinology), was recently named the DOM Director of Fellow Support. Dr. Riek will work with the DOM Office of Education team on the development and implementation of a common curriculum for all fellowship programs. She will also serve as the advisor to the DOM Fellows’ Council.
- Ige George, MD (Infectious Disease), Jennifer Monroy, (Allergy & Immunology), and Saiama Waqar, MBBS (Medical Oncology) recently graduated from the Academy of Educators’ Program Director Bootcamp. The Program Director Bootcamp is an 11-month longitudinal certificate course aimed at enhancing skills, building community among GME leaders, creating innovation, and fostering career and professional development for leaders in medical education training programs at Washington University.
- Bethany Millar, C-TAGME (Internal Medicine) was presented with the Debra L. Dooley GME Program Coordinator Excellence Award at the February 2023 annual meeting of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- Patricia Kao, MD, MS, MHPE (Nephrology) was recognized by the Journal of Graduate Medical Education (JGME) as a 2022 Outstanding Reviewer.
- Matthew Brinkmeier, MD (Hospital Medicine), Shannon Devlin, MD (Palliative Medicine), Michelle D’Alessandro, MD (Resident, Internal Medicine), and Bjorn Anderson, MD (Resident, Internal Medicine) were recipients of Block 1 IM Clerkship LeJIT Teaching Awards. The awards are granted to exemplary faculty and residents educators for providing meaningful Just In Time assessments to medical students during their clerkship rotations.
Changes in Program Leadership
In recent months we have seen several leadership changes for training programs within DOM. We would like to welcome and congratulate the following faculty members on their new roles:
We also extend our best wishes to Dominique Cosco, MD (Internal Medicine), who began her new role as the Designated Institutional Official (DIO) and Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education at Washington University, effective 4/1/2023.
Spring is the season for medical education scholarship! We are proud that members of the Department of Medicine have shown that Washington University is a leading institution in Medical Education with their extensive participation in recent and upcoming education conferences:
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Annual Conference in Nashville, TN: workshops given by Dominique Cosco, MD (Internal Medicine) and Ilana Rosman, MD (Dermatology); closing plenary for the Program Coordinator’s Forum given by Bethany Millar, C-TAGME (Internal Medicine) and LeAnna Bell (Surgery).
- Academic Internal Medicine Week 2023 (AIMW23) in Austin, TX: More than 20 faculty, residents, and staff members attended the annual meeting of the Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine. Of those, 11 gave presentations in the form of posters, workshops, and plenaries. Additionally, Dominique Cosco, MD served as Committee Chair for the APDIM Program Planning Committee.
- At the upcoming Society for General Internal Medicine (SGIM) annual meeting, we will again have more than 20 faculty, fellows, and residents presenting posters, workshops, and clinical updates on behalf of Washington University.
We extend a hearty congratulations to each member of our team that has participated in these important conferences!
- Workshop: How to Write an Impactful Letter of Reference; Tuesday April 11, 12:00-1:00pm, FLTC Holden Auditorium; register here.
- Workshop: Promotions for Educators; Tuesday June 6 and Wednesday June 21, 4:00-5:30pm; Additional information can be found here. Location and registration information to be announced.
- Awards: Nominations for the Academy of Educators’ Rising Star, Exemplary Educator, and Lifetime Achievement Award are currently open. The submission deadline is Friday, May 12. Additional information and nomination forms can be found here.