Washington University Med School Commencement
Announcing MIMEC: Mentoring in Medical Education Careers Office Hours
Mentoring in Medical Education Careers (MIMEC) is an opportunity for DOM faculty, educators, and aspiring educators to meet with our Vice Chair for Education and Director of the Academy of Educators, Dr. Abby Spencer to discuss:
- Careers in Medical Education
- CV or CEP Review
- Steps towards promotion
- Professional Development
- Teaching challenges
- Mentoring in the moment
- Brainstorm Med Ed ideas
- Involvement in National Societies
- Challenging Feedback Encounters
- Accreditation concerns
- Opportunities to get involved in Med Ed
- Finding Mentors
- Being an effective mentor or mentee
- Mitigating Bias in Letters of Recommendation
- Creating optimal learning environments
- And other Med Ed topics important to DOM members!
Wohl Hospital, 7th Floor, Room 7708
Scheduled or Walk-In Appointments Available
Zoom available upon request
Please contact Julie Byington (email@example.com) for questions and scheduling
MIMEC Office Hours: 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Tuesday, July 5, 2022
- Wednesday, August 10, 2022
- Tuesday, September 6, 2022
- Wednesday, October 12, 2022
- Tuesday, November 1, 2022
- Wednesday, December 7, 2022
- Tuesday, January 10, 2023
- Wednesday, February 1, 2023
- Tuesday, March 14, 2023
- Wednesday, April 12, 2023
- Tuesday, May 2, 2023
- Wednesday, June 21, 2023
Explore Program Leadership Announcement
Dr. Amber Deptola is stepping down from her leadership role directing the Medical Education Explore Pathway of the Gateway Curriculum. The Explore program leadership team is actively recruiting a new Medical Education Pathway Director. Please reach out to Dr. Terry Kummer with any questions or potential interest in this unique Medical Education leadership opportunity.
IM Residency Seeking Faculty Coaches for IM Residents
In July 2022, the Internal Medicine Residency Program will continue the coaching program for all incoming interns. The role of a coach is to work with an individual to bring out their best and have them work to their full potential by providing them with the appropriate tools and support. We anticipate your time commitment will be 3-4 one hour meetings with your trainee over the academic year. These meetings can be set up at your own convenience. For faculty looking to connect more with our trainees, this is a great way to become involved. We hope you will join us. Please let Dr. Prashanth Thakker know if you have questions or if you would like to participate as a coach.
American Society of Hematology ASH is excited to announce the Hematology-Focused Fellowship Training Programs! Congratulations to Wash U Hematology for being one of only 9 National Recipients of this prestigious award. By awarding a total of $19 million to 9 institutions across the U.S. for the launch of 10 new fellowship tracks, ASH aims to address the need to expand the hematology workforce. Discover more. The ASH Hematology-Focused Fellowship Training Program at WUSTLmed offers 3 innovative tracks in Classical Hematology with career-enhancing training and education in Transfusion Medicine, Sickle Cell Disease, Thrombosis, & more! Learn more.
DOM Fellows’ Council Update
Thank you to all the fellows that attended the inaugural Fellows’ Council meet and greet event in March! We had a great turnout and enjoyed meeting peers from across the department.
We look forward to hosting our next event in July. The council will host a workshop and discussion for new fellows focused on transitioning into the role of a consultant. Details on the event are coming soon! Our DOM Fellows Council was developed to build community among DOM fellows, support their professional goals, and to help organize social events, a professional development curriculum, JEDI and URiM events, our core DOM fellowship curriculum and career related activities. Please encourage your DOM fellows to join!
Internal Medicine Clerkship & Sub-Internship/Advanced Care Rotation Director Search
Congratulations to the clinical educators who applied for leadership positions in the Internal Medicine Clerkship and Sub-Internship/Advanced Care Rotation. The search committee has formed and is enthusiastic to review and interview applicants. We look forward to the future of clinical undergraduate medical education within Internal Medicine.
Washington University Teaching Physician Pathway
A heartfelt thank you from the Internal Medicine Clerkship to the residents and fellows who are graduating from the Washington University Teaching Physicians Pathway (WUTPP) this summer. The WUTPP graduates have shared their talent and enthusiasm for teaching with medical students, creating interactive online modules, designing in-person teaching materials, and facilitating hands-on sessions. Their involvement has been instrumental in the production of the Gateway Medicine Clerkship. Best of luck in the next steps of your career; your future learners are fortunate to call you teacher!
DOM Program Leadership & Trainee Accomplishments
Congratulations to our LeJIT Teaching Award Recipients
- Inpatient Attendings
- Joyce Ji, MD
- Jonas Noe, MD
- Natalie Baumann, MD
- Outpatient Preceptors
- Tassy Hayden, MD
- Cat McCarthy, MD, PhD
- Inpatient Residents
- Brendan Knapp, MD
- Cosette Champion, MD
- Outpatient Residents
- Alex Tinianow, MD
- Aashray Singareddy, MD
Presentations, Abstracts & Workshops
- Nathan Nolan, MD, MPH, Frank O’Brien, MD, Andrew Robinson, MSW, LMSW, Lisa Zickuhr, MD, MHPE. “Interprofessional, Multidisciplinary Case Conferences: A Novel Approach to Integrating Health Equity Education into Graduate Medical Education Programs.” Presented at the Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine Annual Meeting. Charlotte NC, April 2022.
- Lydia Zhong, Koeun Lee, Maria Baggstrom, Rakhee Bhayani. “Stronger Together: Forming a Women in Medicine Program for Women Trainees.” Accepted for virtual poster presentation at the Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) annual conference. Lyon, France, August 2022.
Upcoming Events & Opportunities in Medical Education
News You Can Use
Open & Upcoming Education Opportunities
- Submissions are currently open for the 2022 SGIM Midwest Regional Meeting, taking place in St. Louis October 6-7, 2022. The submission deadline is Monday, July 18th.
- Stay up to date with the Academy of Educators courses, applications, and opportunities to advance your skills as educators- Apply now to join the Academy!
- Nominations are currently open for the 2023 AAIM Awards. This is an excellent opportunity to recognize our outstanding medical educators!