Welcome to Advancing Women in Academic Medicine (AWAM)! AWAM is a new program that works to achieve equitable career advancement for women fellows and faculty within the Department of Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine. We officially launched our efforts in fall 2020 with a series of virtual listening sessions to hear directly from women faculty and fellows about what support they need related to academic career advancement.
From these listening sessions and with input from the AWAM Advisory Board, the following priorities were identified:
- Develop a department Statement of Institutional Values or Promotion Principles
- Develop a standard faculty evaluation form
- Share examples of clearly-defined career pathways within the Department of Medicine
- Facilitate communication of available resources and notable accomplishments within the Department of Medicine
- Compile data on divisional differences by gender and race in promotions and time at rank
We are working to advance these priorities and look forward to sharing more about our efforts in the next few months.
Many thanks for your support and input. Please reach out directly if you have feedback or questions, Sharon Cresci, MD (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Hilary Babcock, MD, MPH (email@example.com).